A FIVE-year-old boy in Uganda has died of Ebola in the first cross-border case during the current outbreak, a health official said.
The youngster was being treated in an isolated unit after testing positive for the killer virus on Monday but passed away last night. The World Health Organisation said two more people have since tested positive for the Ebola virus.
These are the first cross-border cases in the country since an outbreak started in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo last year. There have been more than 2,000 confirmed and probable cases in Congo since August, with nearly 1,400 deaths.
The boy is said to have travelled across the border with four family members, including his mother and father, on Monday. They had returned to Congo to see his maternal grandfather before he died of Ebola, Uganda’s Health Minister Jane Ruth Aceng said.
He was taken to hospital near the border in Uganda after he started showing symptoms, including vomiting blood, officials said. The diagnosis of Ebola was confirmed by the Uganda Virus Institute (UVRI) yesterday.
Family being tested
A rapid response team was sent to identify other people who may be at risk, the WHO said. The boy’s Congolese grandmother, who travelled to Uganda with the rest of the family, is sick although Ebola test results are yet to come in, it’s reported.
Congo’s health ministry said a dozen members of the boy’s family had showed symptoms of Ebola and were put in isolation.
But six managed to leave while awaiting transfer to an Ebola treatment centre. Officials claim the Congolese family likely did not pass through official border points, where health workers screen all travellers for a high temperature and isolate those who show signs of illness.
Henry Mwebesa, the national director of health services, said the child’s mother, who is married to a Ugandan, “knows where to pass. She does not have to go through the official border points.”
Experts have long feared Ebola could spread to neighbouring countries because of rebel attacks and community resistance hampering virus containment work in eastern Congo, one of the world’s most turbulent regions.
Containing the spread
The virus can spread quickly via close contact with bodily fluids of those infected and can be fatal in up to 90 per cent of cases.
But Mr Mwebesa said Ugandan health teams “are not panicking,” adding: “We have all the contingencies to contain this case. It is not going to go beyond the patient’s family.”
Since the epidemic began in August in eastern Congo, the Congo health ministry said on Monday that it had recorded 2,062 cases including 1,390 deaths.
Uganda has suffered regular outbreaks of Ebola and Marburg over the years, both high-fatality viral haemorrhagic fevers, and health facilities to treat the diseases are relatively robust for the region.
But Uganda is more stable than eastern Congo, and for the first time an experimental but effective Ebola vaccine is being widely used.
Uganda has vaccinated nearly 4,700 health workers so far. But Ebola has been especially feared in Uganda, where multiple outbreaks have occurred over the years.
An outbreak in the north in 2000 infected 425 people and killed more than half of them. The announcement of the first cross-border case puts new pressure on WHO to declare the Ebola outbreak a global health emergency.
A WHO expert committee has twice decided that the outbreak, while of “deep concern,” is not yet a global health emergency.
Dr Jeremy Farrar, Director of Wellcome, said: “This epidemic is in a truly frightening phase and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon.
“There are now more deaths than any other Ebola outbreak in history, bar the West Africa Epidemic of 2013-16, and there can be no doubt that the situation could escalate towards those terrible levels.
“A step up in the national response with full international support is critical if we’re to contain the epidemic and ensure the very best protection for the communities at risk and for the health workers working to protect lives.”
more recommended stories
Sonko discloses his HIV status test results to court
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has finally.
Barcelona FC crowned champions of inaugural SportsPesa Prison Inmates Premier League
It was pomp and colour at.
KCB Group feted as best in EA at African Banker awards
KCB Group took top honours as.
Drama as Waititu’s ‘magistrate’ resigns after CJ Maraga’s suspension
“Having reflected on the consequences of.
My life in danger, Governor Sonko says
Nairobi Governor, Mike Mbuvi Sonko, now.
Former Nyeri Magistrate Chesang freed on bond in husband’s murder case
Former Nyeri Magistrate Pauline Chesang accused.
Bernard Momanyi is new Editorial Director at Capital FM
NAIROBI, Kenya Jun 14 – Bernard.
Co-op Bank to conclude redesigning ATMs to accommodate new currency mid-July
Following the roll-out of the new.
Women legislators boycott budget reading over assault on Fatuma Gedi
Women legislators staged a walkout from.
It’s Google-less future as Huawei recruits developers for its AppGallery
Well, now that Huawei’s future looks.